Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Walking the Walk



Monday, snow feel most of the afternoon so people stayed home unless they had to travel. It wasn't about the snow, but about the ice, the streets today showing no further accumulation of the white stuff and temperatures rising tomorrow. A local Bay Ridge woman had scheduled an appointment which I surely thought she would reschedule as there was no place to park. Much to my surprise, she didn't cancel ... walking many blocks to get here - a friend picking her up after the reading. That is determination.

After her reading I watched the news and found this story which really touched me. On NBC news James Robertson said, "Do you know how long it took me to get this job? I wasn't going to lose it by missing one days' work" - and he hasn't. This morning, the donation amount is up to $132.00 and growing. I love a happy ending.

  Flood of Donations for Michigan Man James Robertson With 21-Mile Walk to Work   ABC - February 3, 2015
Evan Leedy, a 19-year-old Detroit college student, was on Facebook Sunday morning when he read a story about James Robertson, a 56-year-old factory worker who walks 21 miles each day to and from his job in Rochester Hills, Michigan. "What he walks is like me walking to work every day and I honestly couldn't believe that," Leedy told ABC News. "I thought to myself, 'What would I do if my car broke down?,' and I thought, 'I have my parents and I have money to get an Uber.'" "This guy doesn't have that and he didn't quit," Leedy said. After reading the Detroit Free Press story on Robertson, Leedy saw in the comments that people were looking for a way to help so he started a GoFundMe page for Robertson, a complete stranger to him, within minutes of finishing the story. Leedy says he received a call from the corporate offices of Honda offering to donate a car, and a local Chevrolet dealership, Rodgers Chevrolet, has also already offered to give Robertson a car.