Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Upgrades

Today was the day I finally upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. My Sprint plan ended on 10/10 /14 just as the new phones arrived. I changed from Sprint to Verizon - better service and great plan that can be canceled whenever - and got the deal of the century at Best Buy. With their current promotions and the trade-in of my old Samsung Galaxy 3 - I was able to do the whole deal and it cost me nothing. I couldn't believe it. Not only that, I have an $82 gift card from Best Buy. I'm learning how to work some of the new features on the phone. It's amazing especially the little pen that comes with it. Next year my phone will update as can I with the new Verizon Plan and a trade-in. It's all changing.


About my 3 new Time Warner DVR boxes that record 6 hours - two weeks later they still don't communicate with each other. The repair guys all say it's a glitch in the program and I smile as if to say what a great metaphor for our reality. Today repairman #6 is scheduled after I finish my clients. Why? Because anything I record on NBC - has no audio. Seriously. How am I supposed to hear Alison Sweeney say good-by after 22 years on "Days of Our Lives" without audio. I stopped watching the soap 2 years ago, but returned for her final scenes. I suppose I can watch her final farewell - though we know she'll be back one day - On Demand. If you're wondering why I don't have Verizon Fios, the cables are in my building but my landlord refuses to sign off on them so that's that. On the upside, the new high-speed modem included in the Time Warner package happens to be the fastest modem I've ever used. It also has a phone jack ... not that I need it but I plugged it into my fax machine ... not that I ever use that. Maybe I'm too old for this? Whether I am or am not .. this is the future of technology - constant updates.


Whoops ... I forgot the mention the latest Mac upgrade - OS X Yosemite. Just as Time Warner should have taken more time with the new DVR cable boxes before sending them out to customers - I never use a new operating system until others tell me it works well. So far the reports on Yosemite are not favorable.