Monday, November 17, 2014

50 Years Ago
the Verrazano Bridge Opened











On November 21, 1964 the Verrazano Bridge opened to much hoopla in Brooklyn and Staten Island. I was 21 years old and have never forgotten the thrill of crossing over the bridge for the first time with my husband Ralph, in our shiny new convertible.

In the decades that followed, what was farm country became suburbia to families who migrated over the bridge from Brooklyn, to raise their families. From Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge to Staten Island then later to New Jersey - that remains the pattern.

Living on or near water is part of our physical experience here. I have never lived more that 2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. 26 years ago ... moving to an apartment facing the bridge never crossed my mind ... and yet something about the bridge stirred my soul.

On June 10, 2009 at 8:00 AM - when everything outside physically Faded to Black for 5 minutes - intuitively I ran to the window facing the bridge as if I knew that is where I will be facing when the hologram ends.

Many people have reported seeing UFOs over the bridge, including my students while meditating here, though I have never seen a ship pass over. It's the ships that pass under that always attract my attention ... as they enter NY harbor. I've watched ocean liners embrace the sea on their maiden voyage. It's all very inspiring when I sit here writing every day.

The bridge is like a giant megalithic structure. It's arches have been called tuning forks and antennae ... the cables resonating harmonics into the grids. It is often referred to as a gateway between realities.

I have written many blogs incorporating the Verrazano Bridge into my story lines. The bridge been used as the backdrop for many famous movies including "Saturday Night Fever".

I never go to bed without looking out over the bridge perhaps to watch a majestic sunset or just to experience the energies. I know it's part of the reason I am here.


  Retired Engineer Looks Back on Verrazano Construction   NY1 - November 17, 2014
It's a slide show Mark Carter hasn't looked at in years - but on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the Verrazano Bridge, the 79-year-old was more than happy to show photos he shot while working on his first job as an engineer charged with figuring out how to make way for the road beds that serve as approaches to the bridge in both Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Festivities and fireworks to celebrate Verrazano Bridge's 50th anniversary on Friday   SI Live - November 17, 2014

Photos: Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at 50: Before 1964, Staten Island was rural oasis, a world away from 'The City'   SI Live - November 17, 2014
It was a haven for roaming farm animals, known for its wide open spaces and the comforting scent of the ocean. Yes, Staten Island was a different place in the years before the Verrazano-Narrow Bridge collected its first 50-cent toll. That day - November 21, 1964 - would change the Island forever.

Verrazano Bridge   Crystalinks

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge   Wikipedia

More of the many photos I've taken since 9/1/91 when I moved here.




GQ


GQ (formerly Gentlemen's Quarterly) is an international monthly men's magazine based in New York City. The publication focuses on fashion, style, and culture for men, through articles on food, movies, fitness, sex, music, travel, sports, technology, and books. 73% of the readership are men, and 63% are single. 65% of readers had an annual income of $50,000 or greater; and 25% had an income greater than $75,000. Read more ...

Chris Pratt, Steve Carell, more: See GQ's Men (and Women) of the Year covers   NBC Today Show - November 17, 2014


Shailene Woodley   Wikipedia


If you watch the second video - it's about a news anchor who wore the same blue suit
every day for a year to see if anyone noticed. I would have notice after two days.
The point ... women's clothing and hair get noticed more often than men ... I agree.