Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Kindle Experience

As I start this blog, the word "Kinder" (like kinda) echoes in my mind from my childhood meaning "Children". From Kinder to Kindle ... Ellie checking google ... they sent me to Wiki ... ah .. here it is Kinder means Children in German ... Ellie must have transported to her past life in Germany ... circa early to mid 1900's. Okay .. enough with the meshuga timelines and on with the blog.

As the summer came to an end, and my grandchildren got ready to go back to school, grandma decided it was time to start their year with something special ... the Kindle Fire HD 7 inches. No sooner decided when Amazon ran a special at $159 per Kindle down from $199. With the exception of my grandson Michael, who is a sophomore in High School with a 4.0 average and didn't want the Kindle, the younger kids were thrilled to have their new toy, put to immediate use as a game.

"Okay," said a somewhat disappointed grandma. "But what about books?" My second oldest grandson, Vanni, 13, in AZ. must have telepathically heard me and had started an online library. He's in the 8th grade and loves to read. His birthday was in August so I sent an extra $50 for more books. His sister Joie informed me that she can download music and such from her Apple products to the Kindle. What I also didn't know is that the children are allowed to take the Kindles to school to read. Grandma is so happy - mission accomplished. FYI - all of my grandchildren - including Noah, who turned 8 on Monday - knew how to set up their Kindles. Grandma has to catch up...

Today we find ...

Amazon unveils Kindle Fire HDX with 24/7 live help   PhysOrg - September 25, 2013
Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon.com, poses for a photo Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2013, with the 8.9-inch version of the new Amazon Kindle HDX tablet computer in Seattle. Amazon has refreshed its line-up of tablets with new devices, which are significantly faster and lighter than the previous generation.