Monday, July 30, 2012

Your Day in Court



Have you ever been sued? Have you ever sued anyone? I haven't been down that road but friends, clients, and other people tell me it can be a long drawn out process, painful, and most of all, costly - the final verdict is not always just or fair. Here are some interesting observations I've made through the years ... Some people have accident after accident to collect money to retire. Some seem to always set themselves up to play the victim. Many can qualify as lawyers by the time their trial concludes. Even the best of lawyers lose sometimes. Judges, lawyers, and others can be bought. Not all verdicts are right - some overturned later on.

When I started High School, I thought about being a lawyer to create balance. Other careers included - architect, fashion designer like my father, and media. By age 16 in Brooklyn College, I knew I came here to teach ... and so it came to pass by age 20 ... dreams of a legal career faded from memory.


A few years ago, I was finally called to see if I qualify for jury duty. I reported first thing in the morning and waiting with hundreds of other people. After lunch, I found myself in a courtroom with about 40 other prospective jurors, the judge, a defendant on trial for drug possession, his lawyer, and a lawyer for the prosecution. The judge asked, "Who here does not feel they are fit to serve on the jury?" About 10 people, including myself, walked to the side of the courtroom. I had all sorts of written proof about being a psychic and police cases I had worked on. I was going to show that I could not be objective - which is the truth.

The judge came down from the bench and called each of us in turn. I was somewhere in the middle of the line. When it was my turn, I stood with the judge, and the two lawyers to make my case - evidence in hand. I told the judge who I was and before I could finish, he looked at me and ... said, "You're the psychic in Bay Ridge who lives across from Tiffany Diner!" "That is correct, your honor," I responded. "Do you know me? Have you ever been my client?" The judge did not reply as those who could hear us laughed (LOL). The look on his face was all we needed to know he had been - not to mention police work I had been involved in. He next asked if I had made a decision about the guilt or innocence of the defendant. Yes, I had. He asked if I had discussed it with the other potential jurors. I had not. Needless to say, I was dismissed. Another day in the life of a NYC psychic crime fighter! You can't make this up!

-

Today in court ... All rise ....

Colorado shooting suspect to return to court   CNN - July 30, 2012
The man accused of opening fire inside an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater is expected to return to court Monday where he will face formal charges.

Samsung and Apple's patent clash heads to trial by jury   BBC - July 30, 2012
Samsung and Apple's patent battle heads to a court in California this Monday - one of the biggest trials of its kind. The tech firms have accused each other of intellectual property infringement.

Taiwan university sues Apple over iPhone patents   PhysOrg - July 30, 2012
Taiwan's National Cheng Kung University has filed a suit against US tech giant Apple, claiming the company's Siri intelligent assistant has infringed on two of its patents.




Team USA Women's Gymnastics

Having a daughter who was a regional champion gymnast years ago, it is hard for me to stay away from gymnastics at the Olympics filled with surprises and upsets. You have to be an athlete, or the parent of an athlete, to fully understand the commitment, focus, and emotional energies involved. My personal favorite in the 2012 Olympics is Aly Raisman - she just nails it! As with most of the TV shows I watch - I record the event - then watch it without breaks and commercials. If I totally miss an event - there's always TV news and the Internet ... for example ...

Check out this amazing photo essay