Monday, January 11, 2016

73rd Golden Globes


I spent my free time this weekend caught up in two years worth of episodes of an Amazon Prime series called Mozart in the Jungle. I try things. If I like them I watch other episodes - if I don't, I delete or move on ... which reminds me that I just programmed a new TV series called Second Chance which debuted online on December 25, 2015, and starts broadcasting January 13, 2016, on Fox. I only programmed the first episode because I don't think I'll like it.

About "Mozart in the Jungle" ... I didn't realize that productions from Amazon were eligible for a Golden Globe and other awards until last night. I literally went from watching the Season 2 finale to watching the star Gael Garc’a Bernal get an award, along with Best Comedy Series - prevailed over better-known shows such as HBO's "Veep" and Netflix's "Orange is the New Black".

Also surprising was the USA summer thriller I watch - though often confused by - Mr. Robot which won an award for actor Christian Slater and a Golden Globe for Best Television Series Drama for 2015.

I can't tell you how happy I was when Lady Gaga was singled out for her work on "American Horror Story." This could be her year as we look for the next glam wedding which could be hers to actor Taylor Kinney. She's come a long way from the girl whose dress was made of meat to a glamorous actress who is multi talented. I was on the fence about whether or not I liked her until her performance until the 87th Academy Awards, when she performed a tribute to The Sound of Music, singing a medley of songs from the film. I also loved her Christmas commercial this December with Tony Bennett.

Then there is Sylvester Stallone right out of my generation - who earned a best supporting actor award for returning to the ring in "Creed." He's come a long way ...

Other actors in my age group were pretty much over-looked with the exception of Bernadette Peters who is part of the cast of "Mozart in the Jungle". Along with her never-aging appearance I also saw Jane Fonda in the audience looking amazing. It allows me to know that you can be older - look great, feel great, and memorize your lines even as the years pass. I know what you thinking - cosmetic surgery and other things that keep a person looking young - but what about their energy and zest for life. Working hard can age you but working hard at something you love and feel passionate about can keep you ageless.

I also want to congratulate Taraji P. Henson who won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Television Series playing Cookie ... passed out cookies as she walked to the stage to accept her award.

And let's not forget another favorite actor Denzel Washington who received the Cecil B. DeMille Award. I can't remember when he did a movie that failed. You got to love him.

FYI - Fashions on the red carpet were mostly winners as well.


This morning I watched The Good Wife and learned a lot about the Iowa caucus and what candidates do on the campaign trail as I never follow these things. In the episode Peter Florrick is running as a Democrat in the 2016 US Presidential election. Results showed (or maybe actually predicted) Hillary coming in first by a narrow margin followed by Bernie Sanders then Martin O'Malley with fictitious Peter Florrick in fourth and last place - I suppose that means he is officially out of the race. In the real world (is that what this is?) - we are weeks away from Iowa and wouldn't give up on Bernie - there are just too many people who do not like Bill and Hillary. Which way will Martin O'Malley's 5% of voters go if he drops out?


On another note ... on Sunday the world of entertainment lost David Bowie who's birthday I had blogged about on Friday. Bowie was an English singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, arranger, painter, and actor. As he reinvented himself over and over again, he always remained too weird for me.


I'm posting today about Alexander Hamilton on his birthday because of the Broadway hit musical Hamilton. I think my daughter Zsia plans to get tickets but who knows when they will be available. The prices are insane for good seats. Hamilton

Award winning composer, lyricist, librettist, rapper, and actor Lin-Manuel Miranda takes the stage as the unlikely founding father determined to make his mark on the new nation as hungry and ambitious as he is. From bastard orphan to Washington's right hand man, rebel to war hero, a loving husband caught in the country's first sex scandal, to the Treasury head who made an untrusting world believe in the American economy. George Washington, Eliza Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson and Hamilton's lifelong friend/foil Aaron Burr all make their mark in this astonishing new musical exploration of a political mastermind.


January 11, 1755 - July 12, 1804

Alexander Hamilton

  Alexander Hamilton Google Videos

Alexander Hamilton was the first United States Secretary of the Treasury, a Founding Father, economist, and political philosopher. He led calls for the Philadelphia Convention, was one of America's first Constitutional lawyers, and cowrote the Federalist Papers, a primary source for Constitutional interpretation.


The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.

Alexander Hamilton Quotes 1

Alexander Hamilton Quotes 2




Leaving my fictitious world of media and politics on the sideline ... when I got to my computer this morning I had many email request for readings and other projects ... so once again life is busy in Ellie's World as I start my day. Have a good one ...