Sunday, November 18, 2012

Getting Ready For ...


Thanksgiving and Christmas


This week I am getting ready for Thanksgiving ... off to my family in New Jersey ... and forgetting about the chaos in the world. I've think I've blogged enough about that this year, all archived.


My daughter Nikki and I have always been into decorating for Christmas - and Chanukah - but Christmas remains the big event. It all began when Nikki moved into her first apartment in the city after graduating from her masters program - at age 21. Every year, the trees got bigger with ornaments added on from prior years. Some were hand made, or engraved with names and dates, others from unique stores that specialize in Christmas items.

This year I wanted to find something specific the children could identify with me so I asked Z where to look. Off we went to the mall. After looking at dozens of gorgeous ornaments ... there it was ... the perfect ornament ... alone in Macy's as if Z set it aside for me. There's nothing like having a "personal shopper" who can time travel.

When I held it in my hand, I had the strangest sensation. I looked at "my bridge" then at the Statue of Liberty as you turn the ornament counter-clockwise. Happy, I walked to the cashier wondering if there was a greater message as Z had a smug look on his face. And there is was. I stood there shocked when the cashier said the price of the ornament was 11.11. Thanks Z, for giving me another great moment in the program - an early gift from Santa. Ho ... ho ... ho !




My trip to Newport Beach


As I'm leaving for California on Friday November 30, my house is starting to fill with things to take and memos about things to do. This trip is falling into place so smoothly, I know Z had a hand in its creation and await additional surprises.

Last week, I went to look for my large suitcase in my 4 x 4 x 12 foot high storage area in the basement of my building. The porter, Manuel, offered to help in what would be a 10 minute project, if that. Just after we started, Manuel got a call from Sal the super, excusing himself for 5 minutes to help Sal.

In that time, I took a deep breath, looked at the content of the storage room, and knew what to had to do ... clean out everything. By the time Manuel returned, things were everywhere and he said something in Spanish, that I think meant, "Oh my god", but as we both had time, and he knew I would tip him for his time, we proceeded to go through everything.

One of the things that went through my mind as we worked was ... what would have happened if floods from hurricane Sandy or another storm had surged through my basement ... everything would have been totaled.

Long story short ... I threw out almost everything. Several personal items such as my mother-in-law's 50 year old Mah Jong set (did I really save that?) - photo albums, and other memorabilia, were placed in my car to take to my children on Thursday.

You will not believe how much s**t one accumulates over 21 years ... or maybe you would. By the time I was finished, all that remained were two Samsonite 4-wheel suitcases - and several other items I still use.

The feeling with this ... I won't need these things in the time I have left here.

And now I am almost ready for my upcoming trip ... all things going very smoothly... :)