Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The New Medicare Card


My new Medicare Card has arrived. For months I was plagued by emails that the cards had been mailed out in NY State to the point I called to be sure it wasn't true. Now there it was in my mail box waiting for me yesterday. We have very few Seniors in my building but as they like to sit in the lobby at the end of the day, we discussed this very interesting topic. Those whose last names start with letters A-E have received their cards so far.

Day 2

Off I drove to Staples this afternoon to laminate the card. I was greeted by a woman who works there and told me people from all over the neighborhood have been coming for the same reason.

As I waited my turn, the woman behind me, who told me she was 66, told the store manager she didn't think the woman doing the lamination knew what she was doing. What? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard but I said nothing.

She insisted that the manager laminate her card but he refused because he was doing something else. On and on the woman behind me talked about how she knew her card was going to come out wrong. Really? Did she know Mercury is Retrograde? It's doubtful. And frankly I just wanted to get my card and leave.

A few minutes later the card was ready. I paid my $2.06 and placed my card neatly in my wallet removing the old card and cutting it up. A quick glance had told me that the lamination project was fine and all was well in the world.

Suddenly the women behind me, who had just received her card, started telling everyone that it was done wrong. She walked over to me and showed me the left-hand corner that was not laying correctly in her opinion. Talk about OCD. The card was fine and for sure the woman wasn't.

Alas there was nothing else that could be done. She walked out to the parking lot with me as I wondered what I had done to deserve this. I told her the card was fine and that she should just move on. She smiled and walked to her car and that was that! People are crazy!